Monday, October 3, 2011

day one/two of 30 days

I am commiting to thirty days of gluten free eating to see if a lot of what I and my daughters have been dealing with will be healed.

Day one started for me yesterday.  Day one started today for the girls.  This journey started due to many, many factors.  Here is something interesting I thought of gluten and glutton are almost the same word.  I am  addicted to processed foods, which all contain gluten have made me addicted to food.  I am overweight.  I am working on remedying that through running and changing the way I eat.

One:come to find out gluten intolerance probably runs on my side of the family.  I have an uncle who is allergic to everything.  I don't believe we are allergic to gluten.  I believe myself and daughters have an intolerance for it.  In other words if we eat it we are not going to die we just don't process it well and do so in many different ways.

Lets start with me:  I am a sinus mess.  I am constantly battling seasonal allergies.  I have dark circles under my eyes.  I can not lose weight easily.  My hair is not the luscious head of hair it once was and is a thin and fine disaster.  All symptoms of a gluten intolerance.  I also from time to time get a mild case of DH -lovely huh?  Not to this extreme but still annoying.

Janessa_same skin condition on her arms.  again not as bad as the pictures but it is bad enough . she looks like acne has attacked her arm.  She is constantly battling extreme sinus issues.  She is my what doctors would label as ADHD.  She is the reason we started home schooling.  Gluten free can eliminate ADHD symptoms if one has a sensitivity to it

Abby-my spunky girl.  she is also at times very cranky and has mood swings.  she also has bouts of throwing up and a distended abdomen which is very noticeable.  granted some of this is from her achalasia but I am wondering if that will disappear completely with going gluten free.  These are symptoms of gluten intolerance in some people.

Hannah-blessed with the same hair I have now.  she constantly looks like she stuck her finger in a light socket.  Her hair breaks very, very,easily.  she has for years on a daily basis said my stomach hurts.  The hurt stomach has not been something to make me say we need to go to the doctor because she is not throwing up or anything else.  she just says it and then goes about her day.  I think she has lived with it so long that it just is a part of her.   another big sign of gluten intolerance is thinning hair and cramping.

My grandmother had to wear a wig so before I even start to think I have inherited balding I am going to look into gluten free and see if that improves.  I want the hair I had before I gave birth to children.  We have survived day one.  None of us want to kill each other yet but I am sure as the days go on the cravings will come and we may be like crack addicts but instead of crack pipes we may be eating loaves of wheat bread yelling back off it's mine drooling in a corner.   Here is a blog I am getting my recipes and info from for a start. glutenfree goddess.

I already notice being day two that I don't feel as bloated and have more energy.   I will post recipes as well and deals I find because gluten free shopping can get expensive if you allow it.  But for now we end the day, settle in and gear up for tomorrow.  I hope with this we can inspire and maybe help people come up with a solution to health issues that go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.  I also want people to see that giving up gluten does not mean food will taste horrid.  Different, yes?  horrid , no.  maybe even make some recipes that will be come favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment